Monday, October 26, 2009

The Good Idea/Television

Good morning my friends,

Some of you may think that I’m still out “shopping” with Sarah. HA HA…I could not image what George would say if that were true! She went back to school this morning. Now we count down the days as to when she comes back. Thanks for coming home Sarah!

Speaking of Sarah and spending time with her. Last night we just “relaxed” and watched a little TV together. I haven’t watched television for some time now let alone with Sarah. Oh sometimes I will catch “Sponge Bob” but that’s about it for the most part!

We were chatting, laughing and glancing at the television. Do you know what is on television these days? A prime time show was on that years ago I would have been “hooked” on. Now I looked at it and couldn’t believe my eyes.

So much is accepted today. So much is accepted as the norm on television. What is the norm these days? What are we watching? What are our children watching? My eyes were really opened to what’s out there “entertaining” us.

How many times have we used television as a babysitting tool for our younger children? I’ve done the same thing. Television, a great keeper of company.

How many of us watch television just to “enhance” our lives? Just to give us some spice in an otherwise dull life? What are we exposing ourselves too?

I see mindless acts being performed in front of us all for the sake of “entertainment.” Minds are being shaped by what is on television.

Please do not misunderstand me; there are many shows on television that are fine to watch. I look forward to some of the programming on various channels but we do have to use a filter.

Some programs marked PG…really have to be scrutinized. It has happened at my home….you know the “quick grab the remote, change the channel” statement. It happens and we must protect the eyes and ears of our vulnerable ones. Too much “stuff” is going in and it is not all “wholesome.”

I remember the time when I could sit with my parents and watch television shows which did not make anyone blush or run to change the channel. There was purity then. Sometimes I do miss it. (Ahh yes, the bubbles of Lawrence Welk and the streets of Mayberry.) Television is a great thing. We just have to been cognizant of what comes out of it.

I do believe that the best entertainment is what you make yourself. It’s spending time with family. It’s getting to know them better, laughing with them, talking with them, dreaming with them and sharing your love. That will really make a difference. Nancy
(www.justaskbooks.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment