Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Good Idea/Smartest Person

Good rainy morning….

These are typical fall days….leaves on the ground, air wet with moisture, worms slithering about… (Now why do we have them????) and the sound of geese encouraging each other on.

I still gaze up at them when they are flying by. What magnificent creatures. They truly have the “encouraging” thing down!

Today I want to talk about people who know IT ALL. Do you know anyone like that? I do. Even our children will say, “ya, ya, I know.” I say, “You do…pretty smart kid!” “At your age I don’t think that I knew as much as you do.”

I know that we are pushing our children farther and faster these days but there is something to be said about experience and years of learning…isn’t there?

To be able to say, “I don’t know” takes courage and confidence in oneself. I respect the person who says, “I will find out for you and let you know.”

I do not think less of them for not knowing the answer right away, do you? What is wrong with admitting that we do not know something? Are we expected to know “everything” right away? Did this start with the TV show-“Are you smarter than a 5th grader?”

I was reading an article on John Wooden, the legendary basketball coach and he said, “It’s what you learn after you know it all that counts.” Isn’t that great?

This is humbling I think. I believe that this comes with maturity. To step back and say “I did not know that” is honorable. It’s being humble enough to believe that you can learn something from everyone. Everyone has something to share and we can learn from each other’s experiences. As George would say, “why re-invent the wheel?”

We have all been created equal so let’s give others the chance to shine. It’s amazing what you can learn when you sit back, watch and listen to what others are saying.

Is today your day to teach or learn? Either way you can make a difference. Nancy
(www.justaskbooks.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment