Monday, June 1, 2009

The Good Idea/Bricks

Oh happy day! Good morning,

Today, what a beauty! I hear the sound of children’s laughter, the call of birds communicating, and I smell freshness! I am so thankful for the beauty which surrounds me. Thank you Lord for your goodness!

This past weekend I had thoughts of my Mom and what she use to say. And if you know anything about my Mom; you know that she had a lot to say. My thoughts went on for a long time.

I remember her saying to me, “Nancy you are growing like a weed. I have to put a brick on your head.”

Now did she really do this….No….but that was her way of telling me that I was growing up too fast and her baby was disappearing.

Then the thought took me to how we might stifle other people’s growth by what we say or do to them. This can either be growth in the emotional state or in the physical state.

We do this by telling others that we do not believe in them; we do not think that they can make it; survive it; we create doubts and fears of failure and this judging goes on and on.

We stifle their growth by expressing some of our negative opinions.

Do we do this on purpose? Probably not…we just do what was done to us. Some say, “Well that was what I was told.” If this is so, maybe it is time to break that pattern and become an encourager and a supporter.

If that “brick” was literally put on your head…ouch…I’m sorry for that…but that is not a reason to carry the “tradition” on.

Now if we are saying it lovingly…saying “I hate to see you grow up so fast.” That is different. I knew what my Mom meant…sometimes change is hard to handle. Especially when it is a Mom with little ones that aren’t little any more.

So don’t go putting bricks anywhere…encourage, build up and mentor. If bricks were put on you, be different and put those bricks where they are most needed…like around your house.

Have a wonderful and beautiful day in the Lord and enjoy all that you do. Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment