Friday, August 28, 2009

The Good Idea/Do you hear?

Good morning to all…..

As I awoken to the soft sounds of rain this morning I decided that my bed was the best place to be. Don’t you just love the sound of rain? How soothing to the ear and the heart. God has given us so many pleasant sounds to enjoy.

So up and at it we go…..today I want to talk about how we do not always hear what is being said. It is so true. Something will be said to someone and you either get that -I understand look or you hear….what? (Sometimes that “what” is also a look.)

Just this morning while giving some information to my youngest, she looked at me and said, “I’m confused.” So I repeat it – still I get that “what” look. I think to myself, “How plain can I get?”

Now what is happening at this time? Either we are not fully paying attention to the one speaking…daydreaming, thinking of what we want to say or maybe we truly don’t get it.

It is so important to listen when others speak. Even if you feel that the words do not suite you – you should still listen and attempt to comprehend.

Sometimes the meanings in words go much deeper than just the spoken word itself. A few days ago we were in a meeting and a gentleman spoke out some words several times. He then asked, “Do you understand what I am saying?”

After about the third time – I got it. It wasn’t that I did not hear him, I did. But what I did not do was give him full attention and absorb what he was saying. I’m so thankful that he took the time to repeat himself….I would have missed such a critical message.

Many times we think that we know what the person is going to say or mean through their words. Sometimes we are right and sometimes we are wrong. Decisions are based off of our understanding of other’s words. This could actually be scary if we do not truly comprehend the meaning of the spoken word.

There are direct words spoken and there are parables that have been spoken and we must think on these words and figure out how they pertain to our lives.

A few days ago I spoke out and the message given to others was not “heard” by all. I wondered if they did not hear me, understand me or did they think that the message did not pertain to them? What kind of walls are we up against?

As a speaker of words I must say that we cannot assume that others get our words the first time. Sometimes we need to repeat ourselves. Sometimes we need to repeat ourselves. HA HA (Oops there I go again.)

Enjoy this wonderful day….enjoy this wonderful day….there is a difference waiting to be made. There is a difference waiting to be made. (Even listening to the rain) Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment